Chopping, chopping, chopping! We can still hear the joyful cackle that follows this refrain as we’ve stood with Sheril at the Thekkady Barbeque Cooking School preparing this dish. The finished taste is all the incentive you need to do the slicing and dicing for this recipe. This puts green beans on a coconut-y pedestal.
Green Beans Thoran Recipe
4 - 6 servings
2 cups fresh, frozen (or dried and reconstituted with hot water) grated coconut
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 diced long green chilli
1 diced shallot
2 diced cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
20 – 30 fresh curry leaves
2 cups green beans cut on the diagonal in quarter inch slices.
1 cup shallots sliced lengthwise
- Combine the coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli, shallot and garlic in a food processor and pulse to form a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a work on medium heat, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and cook until the mustard seeds pop and splutter (about 30 – 60 seconds).
- Add the chopped green beans, sliced shallots, water and salt and cook with a lid on about 3 to 5 minutes or until the green beans are bright green and just starting to become soft.
- Add the coconut paste to the green beans and stir to evenly incorporate, heat through and serve.
- Enjoy as a side dish with meat, fish or chicken.