Thorans are quick vegetable stir fries that include grated coconut and finely chopped vegetables. This one features cabbage but you can also use carrots, beets or green beans. We’ve grown to look forward to a good Thoran on a menu because it is the dish that replaces our North American cold fresh salads when we travel in South India. It’s not that there aren’t salads to be had. There are plenty for sure but our tummies can’t always take the water they are washed in so we have to get our vegetables cooked. We learned to make this at Green Palms Homestay.
Anna Zacharria’s Cabbage Thoran Recipe
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 – 3 shallots sliced lengthwise
20 curry leaves
1½ cups finely chopped red onion
1 finely chopped long green chili
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup grated fresh or frozen coconut
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
1. Heat the coconut oil in a wok over medium heat, add the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop and splutter (about 30 – 60 seconds).
2. Add the shallots and curry leaves and cook until they turn brown.
3. Add the onion and chili and cook until soft then add the cabbage, stir it into the mix then cover with a lid and cook until soft.
4. Add the coconut, salt and turmeric, taste and adjust salt to your liking.
5. Enjoy as a side dish with any meat, fish or dal.
Thanks for trying this facesplacesandplates.com recipe.