This simple delicious okra curry is inspired by the plethora of fresh vegetables on display at our roadside market stop in Madurai. The recipe is adapted from A Spicy Touch: Family Favourites from Noorbanu Nimji’s Kitchen, where eggplant is used instead of okra. Both are equally delicious as prepared here.
Okra Curry Recipe
4 -6 servings
20 - 25 minutes
1 lb okra – or substitute 2 (8-inch long) Japanese eggplant for eggplant curry
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon Garlic Paste
½ teaspoon Ginger Paste
1 teaspoon Green Chilli Paste
1 Tablespoon finely ground Crispy Fried Onion
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon Garam Masala
1 Tablespoon finely cut coriander leaves
- Cut the okra in half lengthwise OR if using eggplant, cut the top and bottom off the eggplant, then cut it cubes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add the mustard seeds and cook covered till they pop and sputter – about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chilli pastes, crispy fried onion, turmeric, coriander and cumin and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the okra or eggplant and cook for about 10 minutes – or until soft when pierced with a fork – and the oil is separating from the sauce.
- Sprinkle with Garam Masala and coriander leaves.
- Enjoy as a side dish or alone with fresh roti or naan.
Thanks for trying this facesplacesandplates.com recipe.